Friday, March 30, 2012

Home


Editing in progress...

An Introduction to a Self Made Man

As mentioned above, Ari van Guinea (Dutch - Harry from Guinea) is how the church initially recorded his name. His first name is found with many variations: Ari, Are, Arree, Arrey, Aree Aray, Arey,and A. Ray.
Likewise his last name is found with many variations as well:  van Guinea, van Genee, van Guinee, van Ginee, van Ge Nee.

But when He signed his name, it was "Aree Van GeNee". There are other variations, I'm sure, and they all point to a true colonial pioneer in American History.

There is speculation by Stephanie B. Stevens that Aree was a son of a Dutch master and a slave woman. There is no record of his birth or his death. He is described as a Negro, a Mulatto, a Moor (mixed race from northern Africa) and one source claims that he was possibly of Arab descent. He could read Dutch and sign his name as a young man when most people, regardless of their race, could neither read or write. At one point he is described as possibly the most promenent man of color in the state of New Jersey in the early 1700's.

 Ari's third daughter, Maria was baptized in the Dutch Church in New York in June 1705. He had a son baptized in the same Church in October 1708. Within this three year span Ari had moved from Bostwick, New York (Brooklyn, New York) to the Raritan River Valley on the Millstone River in the area now known as Six Mile Run, Somerset County, New Jersey. Shortly thereafter, about 1711, Ari welcomed an influx of several Palatine German families to the area around his home in the Six Mile Run area. 

It is my hope that those families may discover the grandeur that one man established as a Mulatto family in the wilderness of the New Jersey frontier in the infancy of the 17th Century. I hope these "lost" families can re-discover  and re-claim their heritage as one of the nations earliest FREE families of color as our race struggles to clarify the statement found in the Declaration of Independence that "...all men are created equal...".

Freedom was granted to Ari prior to 1705, he was a free man. He purchased 132 Acres of land from Benjamin Rounsavall on April 3rd or 4th 1730. There is an erroneous statement which claims that Aree Van Guinea purchased his land in 1714 and was not given a deed until 1730, presumably because of a law that slaves were not allowed to own land. This statement ironically is from a Zion article dated in 1939 for the 225th Anniversary of the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church which states,

      "Once he received his legal deed, he donated two acres of land to the German Lutheran Church 
         so they could erect a permanent church building." 


The purchase of the land and the donation of the 2 acres to the Church happened within days or months of the purchase of the land in April 1730. Later in life, Aree gave another 50 acres of land to the church to use as a "glebe" in 1750. A glebe was intended to be used by the church for the support of the Pastor and a help in providing monetary support for the Church's obligations.

Aray van Ge Nee was born circa 1675 and I am searching for and will work to document other lines from the Van Guinea children, with the hope of establishing other branches into the Twenty-first century.
This blog will also attempt to discover some of the first Mulatto and Native African persons documented in the area of New Netherlands, now known as Manhattan, prior to the establishment of our nation, the United States of America. With your help and input, we can succeed. 

Thank You!, Thank You!, Thank You!  

To those who assisted with my research while I was in New Jersey! 

Stephanie B. Stevens, author of the book "Outcast", Printed by Merck and Company of White House Station in New Jersey. A remarkable historian, a gentle soul and the most knowledgeable person I have met on the subject of Aray van Guinea's early history in New Jersey.

Genuine love and a heartfelt debt of gratitude to Reverend Mark Summer of the Zion Lutheran Evangelical Church in Oldwick, New Jersey for all the Baptism records and history on the van Guinea family. You can hear his weekly sermons (past and present) on the church's web page. Whether or not you know Jesus Christ as your Savior, Pastor Summer's messages will inspire you. 

Thanks to David Kemp. Mr. Kemp researches the deeds associated with property ownership and has been mapping Hunterdon County's land owners from pre-Revolutionary War days. David ferried us around the county and showed my wife and I four plots of land that Aree owned. He also tutored me on the property Aree donated to the German Lutheran Church.

I also wish to thank Steven and Margaret Griggs of Hunterdon County, New Jersey. Steven Griggs graciously commissioned a plaque mounted to a stone which tells the partial story of the first New Jersey Lutheran Church Service hosted by Aree Van Guinea. This stone was dedicated as a monument on August 3, 2014 at the celebration of the 300th Anniversary of the founding of the Zion Evangelical Luthrean Church, now located in Oldwick, New Jersey. 

Another thank you to the Kurt Rahenkamp of the Tewksbury Historical Society for providing support and information on Mr. van Guinea's early history. 

Also a huge thank you to Carol E. Mull, author of the book "The Underground Railroad in Michigan", Published by McFarland Publishing Co.; 2010. Her book helped me break through a "wall" I ran into while searching back into history. Carol also gave me a path to the patriarch of the Aray family, Aree Van Guinea, which enabled me to make the connection to the present. 

I encourage you to buy Carol Mull's book, it documents several important objectives concerning the Underground Railroad, it's dangers, problems, operating techniques and details some of the brave people that helped travel weary souls seeking the freedom afforded them in the Declaration of Independence. "...all men are created equal ...".

I hope you can discover a link through this blog!


10 comments:

  1. Greetings Mr. Jackson:
    I noticed your blog on Aray over the past weekend, and am familiar with him. I'm not a descendant of Aray, but I am a direct descendant of Benjamin Rounsavall of Hunterdon Co NJ. I was curious about one thing in your blog. You stated that Aray bought his 132 acres at Potterstown BEFORE 1714. I was wondering why the sale date HAD to be before 1714.

    It is true that Benjamin signed the deed in 1730, but in 1714 Benjamin would have only been around 13-14 years of age--and so he would not have been of age to actually have title to this property. Any info that you can provide would be of help since there are still several mysteries surrounding Benjamin and his relatives during this very early time period.

    Thanks very much, and Great Blog!

    Mark Rounsavall, Fayetteville Arkansas
    mrounsavall@crg.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your input Mr. Rounsavall. After further research, you are correct. Aray bought the land from your ancestor, Benjamin Rounsavall, after 1725 and maybe as late as 1727. I have compiled this blog from several sources and two sources were incorrect. In the book "The Faithful and the Bold" Mr. Norman Wittwer, Jr. writes:

    "The statement that Zion's first service was held in Potterstown, was made by those who had not studied the New York Churchbook." ... (later, speaking of a group of families living in Somerset County), Mr. Wittwer says, "... "It was late in the1720's that the group moved to Hunterdon County."

    Thank you for your correction. I will edit this mistake and try to be more accurate with my details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leslie Jackson,
    I'm interested in discussing Ari Van Guinea and a possible genetic connection to him. I have a family branch, the Wyckoff's and Shipley's, who are from Hunterdon County, New Jersey. This particular branch of my family appears to descend from colonial New Jersey and New York and seems to be a mix of African, Dutch and Native American. Further, genetic testing reveals myself and several cousins from this particular branch match with people from Guinea. I've also spoken with Stephanie Stevens. Interestingly I also have a Jackson connection (Louisa County, Va), which moved to New Jersey and married my great-great-grandmother who was a Shipley; they lived in the same area. ... Please contact me at TLDixon72@gmail.com. I look forward to speaking with you.
    TL Dixon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much time has passed since you commented about Aray Van Guinea. I don't have any genetic testing on myself. I know the Wykcoff's and Shipley's were prominent families in Hunterdon County.
      I would be interested in discussing the possibilities of a connection.
      I organized an Aray reunification reunion celebration in August 2014 to coincide with the 300th Anniversary of the Zion Lutheran Church. We had 31 descendants of Aray Van Guinea assembled. many of us were meeting for the first time. Always interested in making new connections.
      Michael van Beuren HiJacked my family tree and
      "managing" the line on Geni world connect. This infuriates me. I have spent 30 years assembling my family tree!

      Delete
  4. I too am researching this line of Aree van Guinea. Woulsd anyone care to confirm the line decent from him to Jacob Aray? I would so much appreciate this.. mikvan52@vermontel.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. I come from two of the German Palatine families who baptized their first New World children at Aree's home on Six Mile Run. I've always been curious about this man, I'm grateful for your research!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, DMaur.... I hope that some day there will be more we can learn about this interesting cross-cultural relationships these various immigrants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pamela Taylor SanfordJune 13, 2023 at 9:26 PM

    I am Aree’s 7th grand daughter. Love this information. Any more that you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pamela,
      I'm sorry for the delay in answering your comment.
      Life has been very hectic. I would be interested in reviewing your line. Who is your 6th great grandfather or grandmother. How did you discover your connection to Aray Van Guinea?

      Delete